Incidentally, I have also altered the third phase of the routine by allowing the spectator to select any four cards that he wishes. This leaves you with the task of moving the "Jonah" card (the Jack) into position so the spectator receives it as his fifth card. Naturally, you can use either the reverse faro and stripping procedure outlined, or the down-under deal, after cutting the Jack to the fifth position from the top of the face down, six card packet.
Rank of Poker Hands
1. FIVE OF A KIND - Four cards of the same value plus a wild card.
2. ROYAL FLUSH - Ace, King, Queen, Jack and Ten in the same suit.
3. STRAIGHT FLUSH - Five cards of the same suit, in sequence.
4. FOUR OF A KIND - Four cards of the same value.
6. FLUSH - Five cards of the same suit.
7. STRAIGHT - Five cards in sequence, but not all of the same suit.
8. THREE OF A KIND - Three cards of the same value.
9. TWO PAIR - Two pairs of different values.
10. ONE PAIR - Two cards of the same value.
(This effect has previously appeared in Harry Lorayne's, "Apocalypse.")
Was this article helpful?
Today I'm going to teach you a fundamental Mentalism technique known as 'cold reading'. Cold reading is a technique employed by mentalists and charlatans and by charlatan I refer to psychics, mediums, fortune tellers or anyone that claims false abilities that is used to give the illusion that the person has some form of super natural power.