• There is a fine line between showing off and displaying a mental ability that is interesting and entertaining. 1 have designed this first demonstration to be informative, fun, and still amazing.
• Being able to speak and 1111 in the numbers at the same time, was the hardest part of this demonstration to master. With lots of practice, this became second nature.
• Once all 16 boxes are tilled in. I try to create ton: moments of amazement. Firsl, I add up the rows and columns. Then I joke about applause. Second. 1 point out the 5 combinations within the grid I joke a little more about applause. Third, I point out the diagonals. 1 joke some more. Finally. I point out the four corners. Joking about applause may not lit your style, but it is comfortable for me.
• 1 refrain from pointing out the other combinations that also add up to the target number. In my opinion, that would be overkill. 1 our moments of amazement are enough. Plus, pointing out the additional combinations will definitely confuse some in the audience. I stop when 1'm ahead.
• Never repeat this demonstration for the same audience. or after the show when people ask you quesliuns. Some people will discover the pattern. If they discover the pattern, it becomes a magic trick. 1 .earn a second automatic magic square. Or check out Doug Dyment's book.
Wmdsigius. fat (lis clever ideas on ways to disguise an automatic magic square. (See "Books and Supplies.")
• 1*0 impress upon people that this menial ability- can be learned if you are willing to train your mind, I sometimes give those who comment about this demonstration after the show a handout outlining a way to do a magic square. See Appendix Item 5 for a copy of my handout. Obviously, this is a much, much harder method for doing the magic square... further impressing upon people that what I did was very, very difficult. And people arc grateful thai 1 am willing to share one of my secrets with them. Of course, I'm no: disclosing the automatic magic square.
Was this article helpful?
To do this successfully you need to build a clear path of action by using tools if necessary. These tools would be facts, evidence and stories which you know they can relate to. Plus you always want to have their best interests at heart, in other words, you know what is good for them